[HOT] HOT Digest, Vol 50, Issue 5

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:23:54 UTC 2014

Hey, thanks for your email; very interesting to hear from someone who
has worked for this agency.  We make heavy use of the GNS data around
the world.  I will explain what we are doing in this particular case
in Guinea.

We are currently start by importing the GNS data into our database
first.  Next I go through an area covering 1 or 2 topo sheets and
create a blank place node with a fixme tag on it for every town that
appears on the topo maps, whether they have a name there or not
(except I skip creating a node for any that already are in OSM from
the previous GNS import for the area).  Then a task manager job is
created to have volunteers go over the area and type in any names that
appear on the topo maps (and also enter alternate spellings if the two
sources don't agree).  Finally, after all the name data is in the
database, we go back over the area one last time and move every place
node to its correct position using the false color landsat 8 imagery
(villages are bright pink dots so this is very easy to do).  During
this stage we often flip back and forth between the imagery and the
topo maps to determine what the local offset if due to inveteracies in
the original datasets and/or inaccuracy of my othro-rectification of
the scanned maps.

In regard to your second question about landscan and Afripop:
The Red Cross and MSF who are doing work with our data are aware of
afripop and may end up using it in conjunction with OSM data to do
their own analysis, but the format of the afripop data makes it not
particularly suited for import into OSM directly.

The same thing is basically true of the landscan data.  It is 1km
gridded raster data so it would be useful for background rendering on
our lower zoom levels, but again it can't really be used to improve
the OSM database directly.

Hope this answers your questions.  It would be good to speak with you
on Mumble if you are interested in helping with merging in this name
data.  We need experienced people to handle some of the more
complicated bits of the process.  Here is a link to instructions on
how to set up mumble if you want to talk about this further.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble

Thanks again,
- -AndrewBuck