[HOT] Ebola Outbreak Guinea - West Africa, Mapping to support CartONG - MSF-CH - IFRC

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Thu Apr 3 22:46:57 UTC 2014

In a report on march 31 2014, Mariano Lugli, coordinator of MSF's project in Conakry is saying :
“We are facing an epidemic of a magnitude never before seen in terms of the distribution of cases in the country: Gueckedou, Macenta Kissidougou, Nzerekore, and now Conakry,”

   Guinea: Mobilisation against an unprecedented Ebola epi...
Eight ebola cases have been confirmed in the capital Conakry, MSF now facing an unprecedented epidemic.
Afficher sur www.msf.org Aperçu par Yahoo

And new suspected cases are still reported today. This is where mapping comes in and can help MSF, IFRC and the various Red Cross to have an overview of the situation and for some towns have some insights with very detaield maps.

Even if this crisis is not in all the medias, the contribution from the OSM contributors is fantastic. In 8.5 days,
302 contributors, 1.2 million objects, 114,000 buildings, 5,000 places and 6,100 landuse polygons.

Thanks again, to DigitalGlobe and Mapbox who provided imagery to map Mamou in Guinea. We see an impressive progress on this task. At some times today, there were up to 14 contributors mapping simultaneously using the Task Manager.
See http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/484

All other jobs for this Activation are found at

Wiki coordination page at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response
   2014 West Africa Ebola Response - OpenStreetMa...
Help Available languages • English         • français Other languages — Help us translating this wiki
Afficher sur wiki.openstreetm... Aperçu par Yahoo

And this is not finished. Various people are helping and look at new imagery and will process it to let us edit from it. This will bring us more imagery to map the zones around Gueckedou, the main site of this epidemy. We expect to have more imagery tomorrow. As these images will come in, we will add new tasks.

Thanks again to all those who contribute to this mapping action to support MSF, IFRC and the Red Cross societies in the various countries affected.