[HOT] Syria Activation

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 21:09:47 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I've not looked at Syria mapping in any coordinated manner for a while now,
but there is some areas that we could start on; I've been thinking about
starting some Task Manager jobs for a while now as Bing imagery has
improved (I've not looked at the result of the recent MapBox / DigitalGlobe
/ iD announcement).

HOT have been asked to trace population centres, roads and POIs such as
places of worship. I think we can still do this without creating the risks
that Sev has previously mentioned. I understand that this might not be
getting the most from Syrian mappers interested, but I think it's a good
starting place for now.There are some other jobs that would be really
useful, such as matching existing OSM place names to visible towns /
villages on the imagery - a lot of this simply doesn't match up.

I'm on vacation at the moment, but can hopefully start a job later this
evening if it would be wanted. Anyone interested in the meantime could look
at my OSM edit history [0] to see areas that have recently become visible
on Bing.

Best, Joseph

[0]
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/IknowJoseph/history#map=8/36.235/39.397