[HOT] Why use OpenStreetMap and not other maps in disaster situations?

Sazal Sthapit sazalsthapit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:23:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am Sazal Sthapit from Kathmandu Living Labs. I am an active member of
OSM-Nepal community.

Last week, we had a discussion with few people from Nepal’s Disaster
Community. We were asked one specific question, “Why should we choose
OpenStreetMap over any other maps in disaster situations?”

While I do have some idea to answer this question in bits and pieces, I was
wondering if we could come up with specific advantages and disadvantages of
using OpenStreetMap over other maps.

Sazal