[HOT] Why use OpenStreetMap and not other maps in disaster situations?

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Mon Apr 28 16:03:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Sazal Sthapit <sazalsthapit at gmail.com>wrote:

> While I do have some idea to answer this question in bits and pieces, I
> was wondering if we could come up with specific advantages and
> disadvantages of using OpenStreetMap over other maps.

What else would you use ;) ? Here's why OSM works so nicely in disaster
response: 1) it's open source = you can actually get it as data which means
you can print it or load it into a GPS device if needed and 2) it's
actually editable, there's no other map that you can directly edit

Wrote a piece about this on my diary recently:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/21623 (also check out
Mikel's post linked from the comments).