[HOT] TM job for Chikhwawa district in Malawi - mapping over imagery to prepare field mapping

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 20:50:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

As announced in my last email about the Malawi project, I created a TM job
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/615> to start mapping the most flood prone
areas in Lower Shire valley, starting by the Chikhwawa district. The local
trainees from Malawi gov Departments, Academia and WFP have started it this
morning and through it mapped their first residential areas, roads, tracks
and waterways in this flood plain mostly covered by farm lands, what was
almost blank in OSM. Everyone is invited to participate, even for a few
objects.

As mentioned in the TM job description,* "the data produced through this
job will be used in Field Papers during the community mapping as well as
exposure data in hazard impact scenarios in order to improve the planning,
preparedness and response activities to the floods"*.

I know there is a lot of urgent TM jobs running these days (Gaza, Ebola,
CAR, South Sudan, etc.), but preparedness is also an important step in any
disaster management and be sure we will use the data in the field papers
and in our Garmin devices in a couple of weeks!

Sincerely,

Severin