[HOT] WHO declares Ebola outbreak an 'international public health emergency'

Pierre BĂ©land pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sat Aug 9 00:29:19 UTC 2014

Following the WHO appeal, I published a new HOT update.
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2014-08-08_who_declares_ebola_outbreak_an_international_public_health_emergency

Haiti in 2010
revealed the capacity of the OpenStreetMap community to effectively
support UN agencies and humanitarian NGOs, to quickly produce
detailed maps and offer various services in support of the
humanitarians.

The OSM 10th Anniversary coincides with the Ebola Activation to fight a deadly epidemic, but also other interventions especially in Gaza. We still need the help from the internet community to answer these  humanitarian crisis.

For the Ebola epidemy, we have already covered 24,000 square km (155 km x 155 km) in three countries. It is also an unprecedented effort with more than 4.5 million objects modified inthe OSM database so far. And over 700 contributors have already responded.

With this international public health emergency, international humanitarian organizations call on the OpenStreetMap community to escalate again is response to support groups like MSF, the Red Cross and WHO.

We invite you to use the task manager to coordinate with the other OpenStreetMapcontributors around the world.

http://tasks.hotosm.org/

We need also more experienced contributors toimport place names from the GNS database. This information is also essential for teams traveling in the area. To participate, contact me by providing me with your username OpenStreetMap. We will create a special Tasking manager job for this work.

Pierre