[HOT] Question about background image alignment

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:54:27 UTC 2014

> On 08/13/2014 08:44 AM, Dan S wrote:
>>
>> The answer is no, when you first load an imagery layer into JOSM it
>> does not offset it, and there may be a systematic misalignment
>> relative to GPS coordinates.
>

> OK, I guess I wasn't quite precise enough in my query:
>
> What I'm seeing is that much of the data in e.g. Monrovia is offset by 7.5m
> relative to the Bing imagery.  That means that either Bing is misaligned, or
> the imagery being used by many of the people entering data is misaligned (or
> both, most likely).

Those people *may* have used bing but corrected the imagery offset
before tracing, by aligning the imagery to some GPS. I don't know, I
haven't looked, but that would be the most optimistic state of
affairs! It's the best way to work.

> Potlatch2, iD, and JOSM all show the same offset vs. Bing, so we can
> eliminate *those* editors as the issue.
>
> Even worse, the particular ways I'm looking at (e.g. way 296966938) claims a
> source of Bing, which means that either they *aren't* using Bing imagery yet
> claiming to do so, or they are using some other mapping program that's
> faulty.

OR they are indeed using bing and are offsetting the imagery before
doing their work.

If you look at the history for the changeset in which your way was added:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/24645722
you see "created_by JOSM/1.5 (7347 en)" so we know it was JOSM.

I suspect they manually aligned bing before tracing.

(You could even ask them, I guess!)

You're right that they may also have used the alternate imagery source
that you mention, and forgotten to fix the source tag. But the
solution isn't to pick which imagery is canonical, the solution is to
work out how much offset the imagery in your area needs, in order to
align it to GPS.

When I look at the GPS tracks in the area you mention, I see pretty
good alignment between the road data and GPS. (I like to use the
rainbow GPS tiles to view this:
<tms:http://{switch:a,b,c}.gps-tile.openstreetmap.org/lines/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png>.)
There are not many tracks in the area, but the data doesn't look to me
to be systematically misaligned, it looks to be probably correct.

Hope this helps!
Best
Dan