[HOT] GNS name merging discussion thread

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Aug 14 22:32:21 UTC 2014

On 8/14/2014 3:12 PM, Pierre Béland wrote:
> As a general rule, we outline residential landuse areas using the tag
> landuse=residential. There might be many for one village.
Sure - the only problem is when you can't be reasonably certain that
what you're tracing is only residential. In those cases,
landuse=residential is wrong.
> And we use a node to describe places. Exchanging such infos with
> various humanitarian organizations, I think that we are better to keep
> a data model where we make distinction between the nodes places=* and
> the residential areas polygons.

Place tags on an area where that place has clearly defined bounds are
not incorrect. Data consumers have to be prepared for either. For what
it's worth, openstreetmap-carto doesn't handle this correctly and there
are a couple of issues about it.