[HOT] GNS name merging discussion thread

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:58:27 UTC 2014

Hi Tom,

I agree about the duplicate names, I just ran into a few in Liberia.

But I have another question related to how we should handle names.

I am running into several nodes where the "name" tag is one name, but
the JOG map shows another name. Now this other name is almost always
listed as an alternate name, and if it is not I for sure add it as an
alternate name.

My question is:

If the main "name" tag is different than the JOG label should we:

1. Change the name to match the JOG map, and make sure the GNS import
name is listed as an alternate name ?

2. Leave it as it comes in from GNS making sure JOG map name is listed
as an alternate?

3. Make it as fixme=Confirm name after doing either one of the two above
option?

Sorry to be so picky, but as long as we going through and cleaning up
data, I'd like to get it as good as we can.

Regards,
Blake Girardot