[HOT] Hot Job 591 Cholera in Juba - Bing imagery updated, new offset

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 22:09:49 UTC 2014

Hi Dietmar,

Indeed the Bing imagery has been updated and is now from June 2013, what is
older than the WorldView2 imagery from http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/591,
but with a better resolution. As many people will use Bing and not the WV2
imagery because they do not know about the job, it is worth to consider
Bing as the reference knowing that Bing has good georeferenced imagery
except in a few places (seems Manilla).
I checked the current map and there is a general offset for buildings and
walls, while I know roads were not always correctly traced everywhere.
Currently realigning the buildings and walls on Bing as a batch, the
process should be achieved in a few hours.
I would recommend (I will update the job instructions accordingly) to:
- align WV2 on Bing
- check the differences between WV2 and Bing where you trace and
- where there is no difference, trace on Bing (better resolution)
- where Bing is outdated, trace on WV2

Sincerely,

Severin