[HOT] New HOT voting members approved!

Russell Deffner russdeffner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 23:23:26 UTC 2014

Thank you Jaakko, and all!

I agree this is an amazing ‘class’, and I am thrilled to be a part of it.
I’m also pleasantly surprised there are many new members that I have not yet
had the pleasure of meeting, so I look forward to hearing your stories and
hopefully meeting you somewhere down the road.  The quick version of my
story is that I’m a relatively ‘new-hat’, having only barely gotten involved
in OpenStreetMap in 2010.  However, my background is in emergency services
(and GIS) so when SOTM 2011 came to me (Denver, Colorado, USA) I got the
chance to learn about and meet many of the members of HOT.  From there I
started volunteering as a remote mapper, coordinated some local disaster
mapping, and watching the organization grow.  I got another chance to meet
Kate last summer where she convinced me to finally jump all in, so thank
you; and also a big thank you to Severin Menard who last summer selected me
to join him on an amazing trip this fall to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia to teach
and coordinate Open(Street)Mapping.  Like I said, the short version; will
try to do a more thorough blog or something soon

I’m honored and humbled to be a part of this organization and can’t wait to
see what we will accomplish,

=Russ

russdeffner at gmail.com

Russell Deffner