[HOT] Tech WG - tasking manager - workflow branch

xkomczax at centrum.cz xkomczax at centrum.cz
Tue Feb 4 16:55:21 UTC 2014

Hi all,

as a regular mapper I can really appreciate the validation function. I am sometimes doing the validation, but without this function it is really hard to do it: I have no idea which areas were already checked by the others or even by me, because sometimes I am forgetting exactly which squares I already checked.

Yeah, the functionality is not widely used (even trough a lot of people is watching just for the number of green squares and they are forgetting to count the squares which were unvalidated). I can remember when the action covering typhoon Haiyan started I wasn't sure if I am enough experienced to do validation. After short conversation on IRC where the guys encouraged me I did so and found out it isn't that hard. Maybe there can be changed the formulation of who can do the validation (because even now I don't feel like "an experienced mapper") and encourage the people to do so (with some explanation and possible link to the wiki). I strongly agree with Kate's opinion on not removing once implemented functionality. Maybe it can be just optional choice for the one who is creating the job if he/she wants to have this functionality on/off.

What I really like is the idea of invalidating once validated squares. Maybe I can even appreciate possibility to distinguish my own squares from the others ones – I am not using the random validation button but I am mostly choosing it by myself. Therefore little bit different color of the square or some nearly invisible bordering will be great.

Best
xkomczax