[HOT] New HOT voting members approved!

Jorieke Vyncke jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 08:13:40 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Thank you very much for selecting me as a voting member. I'm also really
happy to see the diversity of the new voting members!

To introduce myself a little bit for the people who don't know me yet: I'm
Belgian and with my background in social and educational studies a little
bit an exception in the OpenStreetMap world. I got to know OpenStreetMap in
2010 and got really interested in it after I discovered HOT.

As a good, critical student at that time, I was questioning the mapping in
humanitarian and development contexts. So I decided to focus the
dissertation of my master in Conflict and Development on the power of maps
in slum contexts. I went to Bangladesh to do interviews with a lot of slum
dwellers and I also met with the local OSM community, discussed with them
and mapped the Dhaka Zoo with them. Conclusion of my research: mapping can
be a great tool, especially if the local community has the ownership over
the maps. And... this is exactly what OSM can offer!

After, I got the luck to be selected for the Eurosha project. Three months
of mapping, promotion and training for local and international actors in
the Central African Republic followed. After an evacuation out of CAR,
Cameroon was the next destination. Promotion and training resulted in a
start-up of a local OSM community and a lot of mapping fun in Cameroon!

Recently I participated also in the translation of the LearnOSM guides from
English into French in Dakar and subsequently I supported during two months
the awesome OSM community in Senegal.

Happy to be part of HOT!

Jorieke