[HOT] UK Flooding

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Sun Feb 16 04:15:20 UTC 2014

On the topic of UK flooding, I've created a wiki page now:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Floods_2014

As you can see, I agree that this should not be treated as anything like a normal HOT crisis response mapping exercise for the reasons given there.

But there's lots we can do to help OpenStreetMap get *used*. In fact I've been approached by a couple of people in relation to a "FloodHack" event happening in London today, which is shaping up to be a pretty bick hacker gathering.

So also on that wiki page is some information for "hackers" looking to use OpenStreetMap (who are new to it). I've also tried to add a couple of more specific hack ideas, related to UK floods.

I would appreciate it if anyone can think of other more specific hack ideas related to floods, please edit the page (preferably in time for the hackers who will be looking at this in a few hours time)

This may be an opportunity to harness some hacking enthusiasm for HOT tools/docs etc in general, although there's not point listing such ideas on that wiki page really. We need to think of clever ways of relating it to UK floods.

Harry