[HOT] New Task: Carles Post-Disaster Tracing

frmoine frmoine at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 17:56:32 UTC 2014

Hello, happy new year 2014

Regarding post disaster assessment and this job
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/392

I have participated to HOT activation right after the event in
Philippines and we discussed the post disaster and tagging at that time

For me we still need to replace Undamaged buildings by No visible damage
will be more realistic after a typhoon.

and let building= yes seems ok.

. *typhoon:reviewed=yes*(revision made)
or , *typhoon:reviewed=cloud*(cloud coverage)
. *building=yes*

2 months after I see this job 392 and I have two more questions:

1 - When should we make a post disaster analysis with satellite imagery?

At the beginning of a disaster for sure as we need to know the extent of
damage and the intensity to set up priority area.

However it is preferable to leave the OSM contributors finish digitizing
over the most affected areas and let the time for quality control to
avoid leaving bad digitize objects in OSM database.

And let other more specialized team to do the damage assesment based on
OSM data (pre image).

As we need good pre and post image to do a damage assessment

And if HOT wants to do some damage assessment so it will go to do it in
order :

-Completely finish digitizing baseline data to get the most complete
dataset over the affected areas.

-Then coordinate with agencies performing the damage assessment to
dispacth areas to fill any gap.

-Creating a Wiki with screenshots and a detailed explanation of the way
to make this assessment and the use of the tags. (toharmonize digitization)

- You can make a general wiki and adapt according to each situation.

See :

http://hot.openstreetmap.org/about/hot_capacities / Developing Skilled
Mappers and Community Approach

2 -- Do we need to put all the data on OSM

After such kind of disaster the most important thing for the population
could be to get back to there original land and keep their property.

So pre building could be useful for that, after to map every tent or idp
camp is something else especially if we are not maintaining this data in
the field, the same for damage assessment after 2 months I assume people
made some assessment in the field.

So we can use this capacity :

http://hot.openstreetmap.org/about/hot_capacities / Building a Local OSM
Environment

To improve the use of OSM with other data base,  as we cannot put all
the information if we are not update it in OSM. ( we still need to clean
OSM data in Haiti).
But it is possilbe to increase the use of OSM data for the reconstruction.

And reinforce the use of private data store (?)

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-March/024677.html

it was just two quick questions : )

all the best and good work in the field, all the best FredM

Hi All,

I proposed the switch to a "damage=" tag to this community about a month ago and received a positive response, albeit from few voices. When I brought this up again at SOTM-PH it was also well received. As such I think we should switch to using the "damage=" tagging schema and move away from tagging damages in the building tag.

The rendering on this may lag at the moment but is easy enough to catch up - Yohan has already signaled that he can switch quickly.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Banick | Field GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì American Red Cross<http://www.redcross.org/>
2025 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20006
Tel 202-303-5017 | Cell 202-805-3679 | Skype robert.banick