[HOT] [talk-ph] Increasing demand for OSM talks and workshops

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Thu Jan 30 22:59:18 UTC 2014

Hi Robert,

I agree that it is better to do in person training for non-typical OSM users.

But we can think of some at distance training support for the trainers if necessary. Andrew Buck, Will Skora and I have experienced last year supporting various local chapters in African countries. Andrew and I are pursuing in this direction discussing presently with humanitarians in Congo that also want to do some field data collection.

I dont know how others see this, but we could first try to build a common repository for material specific to data collection that would complete LearnOsm. The tradittional approach is to use GPS + Field Paper + Questionnaires. But new tools based on smarphones and tablets are emerging to complete the data collection workflow. If some training material is developped for this, and data collection experienced made, we should share these infos among the various groups.

Pierre