[HOT] Admin level 2 for CAR and Malawi

Barry Dyer dyeremergency at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 09:52:05 UTC 2014

Hi Severin,
The GAUL database is not OSM compatible as there is a proscription against
commercial use :(
It is the same with UNSALB.org which provided non-commercial use access in
the past but this has since been removed. The UN's other geo/boundary
resources are hidden behind their replacement site which is only for UN
use:
http://www.ungiwg.org/content/united-nations-international-and-administrative-boundaries-resources

I've wanted to use one of these sources before and did email the point of
contact for UNSALB and GAUL without success.
There was talk some years ago about revisiting the licensure but it hasn't
changed since I've been watching the issue.

I've checked my own extracts from geofabrik and CF/CAF (Central African
Republic) is poorly represented below ADM1 (there is nothing).

Natural Earth hasn't done anything lower than ADM1 as far as I know.

One alternative you might try is GADM.org which has ADM2 for CAF. Its terms
are definitely not OSM compatible but it might be worth approaching them to
see if they would put you in touch with the data provider for CAFs admin
regions?

Just a thought.
Best regards,
Barry