[HOT] Launching the hot mailing list in French

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 16:00:05 UTC 2014

Thanks for bringing this back on topic Mark.

Given that the HOT mailing list has been the primary communication channel for HOTties (volunteers/members/whoever)  it's a fairly big change introduce a language split like this.

So the new mailing list is here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot-francophone/

Does help or hinder us?

Raphael said it seems like a "natural" move, and I guess that's why sev just went ahead and did it. I don't really want to heap criticism on Sev for doing that. And I don't think Heather wanted to do either. She was merely saying we (all of us) should've had a discussion

I worry that we seem to be developing some deep divides in our community between english and french speakers. So yeah it's a tricky one. Obviously if you speak french and not english... it's  natural to want a french mailing list to post to.

I'm kind of 50/50 on it really. "Swings and roundabouts" to use an awkward english phrase :-)

Harry

-----