[HOT] The London HOT Congo Mapathon: hashtag for the mapping in Democratic Republic

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Thu May 1 00:38:43 UTC 2014

Hi Nicolas,

I hope you can appreciate that Twitter doesn't really work that way. When
hosting an event then hosts often decide on the hashtag ahead of time, but
often these things just happen organically. Typically you can guess a
hashtag for an event or series of hashtags. For example when a disaster
happens #pray4xxxx almost always appears, there are also sometimes other
tags which are abbreviations of the place name or have special significance
to people. In Jakarta during flooding #banjirjakarta is pretty common for
example, which just means "Jakarta Flood" in Indonesian.

I would suggest we just continue using #mapcongo and not overthink things
too much. This has already been in use and people are probably already
monitoring this tag. Local groups certainly will gather around other
hashtags that are relevant to them overtime.

For those interested Katrina Engelsted and I wrote a social media guide a
ways back and certainly would appreciate comments if there is missing
information or updates(1). National Public Radio (NPR) in the US has a
great Tumblr about social media which highlights methods different programs
use to approach this type of engagement and the strategy behind it(2).

Best,

-Kate

(1)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xtu08OhO-MLXfVegKN6VFzJsOWXbOywa1TUk41aclIM/edit?usp=sharing