[HOT] Translatewiki.net was HOT Digest, Vol 51, Issue 3

André Costa andre.costa at wikimedia.se
Sat May 3 21:10:15 UTC 2014


Hi Pierre,

Depending on how the translations are set up Translatewiki.net should be
able to deal with all those aspects apart from the creation of new images.
When we have translated guides containing translated images these were
simply broken out as separate strings. The strings (filenames) were in turn
interpreted so as to point to that file in our image repository.

If the "only" difference in your translated images is changed text then
some vector formats should allow you to embed that directly in the images.
Thus essentially breaking image translation down to the translations of the
displayed text. On the other hand if each translated image requires a new
screenshot or similar then including that directly into the translation
process would be hard.

An alternative would be to use the string/filename approach above and make
sure the documentation of each image-message makes it clear how the new
image should be made and where it should be uploaded.

Cheers,
André


 André Costa | GLAM-tekniker, Wikimedia Sverige | Andre.Costa at wikimedia.se |
 +46 (0)733-964574

Stöd fri kunskap, bli medlem i Wikimedia Sverige.
Läs mer på blimedlem.wikimedia.se


On 2 May 2014 12:10, Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> From my experience translating LearnOSM, I found that this imagery
> management is essential to offer the capacity to translators to manage
> easily the process of both translating, create new images and insert the
> url in the body of the text. Otherwise, you have to develop more complex
> and less fluid workflows.  This is the problem we are faced with
> translating LearnOSM presently using either github or prose.io.
>
>
> Pierre
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *De :* John Andersson <john.andersson at wikimedia.se>
> *À :* Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>; "hot at openstreetmap.org" <
> hot at openstreetmap.org>; André Costa <andre.costa at wikimedia.se>
> *Envoyé le :* Vendredi 2 mai 2014 12h00
> *Objet :* RE: Translatewiki.net was [HOT] HOT Digest, Vol 51, Issue 3
>
> Hi Pierre,
>
> I asked our developer André (cc) about this and he said that
> Translatewiki.net doesn't have an image function. What you could be using
> are variables, but the creation of images then have to take place somewhere
> else.
>
> *John Andersson*
> Wikimedia Sverige
> Project Manager
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 10:38:55 +0100
> From: pierzenh at yahoo.fr
> Subject: Re: Translatewiki.net was [HOT] HOT Digest, Vol 51, Issue 3
> To: john.andersson at wikimedia.se; hot at openstreetmap.org
>
> Hi John,
>
> This looks interesting. One important aspect is the integration /
> management of images. For example, when you describe a software menu, you
> need the same image for each language you translate. How this is
> integrated, and how easy it is for a contributor to add new images, have
> set of images for different languages?
>
>
> Pierre
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *De :* John Andersson <john.andersson at wikimedia.se>
> *À :* "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
> *Envoyé le :* Vendredi 2 mai 2014 10h45
> *Objet :* Re: [HOT] HOT Digest, Vol 51, Issue 3
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have contributed to HOT for a few months now and I love this project! I
> have followed this list closely, but this is actually my first post here.
>
> I would strongly suggest that HOT focus on using Translatewiki.net<https://translatewiki.net/>as its translation platform, instead of Transifex. Translatewiki.net is already
> used by OSM <https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:OpenStreetMap>and have a very active translation community. This community already know
> and use the vocabulary, something that would increase consistency of the
> translations.
>
> Also, Wikimedia Sverige will launch a large project this year where we
> will focus on improving documentation to make Translatewiki.net even easier
> to use, creating and adding Open Badges for the project etc.
>
> John
> - - - -
> *John Andersson*
> Wikimedia Sverige
> Project Manager
>
> Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
> Email: john.andersson at wikimedia.se <JohnAndersson86 at hotmail.com>
> Skype: johnandersson86
>
> Be sure to follow us on Twitter at @WikiEuropeana<http://twitter.com/#%21/wikieuropeana>and
> @WikimediaSE <https://twitter.com/WikimediaSE>
> Would you like to support free knowledge and Wikipedia? Please consider becoming
> a member <https://donera.wikimedia.se/node/6> of Wikimedia Sverige! We
> need your support.
>
>
> > From: hot-request at openstreetmap.org
> > Subject: HOT Digest, Vol 51, Issue 3
> > To: hot at openstreetmap.org
> > Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 00:52:33 +0000
> >
> > Send HOT mailing list submissions to
> > hot at openstreetmap.org
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > hot-request at openstreetmap.org
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > hot-owner at openstreetmap.org
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of HOT digest..."
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> > 1. Re: Road tracing in North Nigeria and eHealth Africa data
> > imports (Rafael Avila Coya)
> > 2. Transifex translation service for HOT projects (Dra?en Odoba?i?)
> > 3. Re: Doodle for First Meeting of Communications Working Group
> > (Kate Chapman)
> > 4. Re: Transifex translation service for HOT projects
> > (Severin Menard)
> > 5. Activation Working Group (Severin Menard)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 13:11:47 +0100
> > From: Rafael Avila Coya <ravilacoya at gmail.com>
> > To: Pierre B?land <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
> > Cc: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
> > Subject: Re: [HOT] Road tracing in North Nigeria and eHealth Africa
> > data imports
> > Message-ID: <53623A03.10103 at gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> >
> > Hi, Pierre:
> >
> > Thank you for sharing your comments.
> >
> > We are actually importing the boundaries at the ward level (see for
> > example this area of Jigawa and Yobe states that have already their
> > inner boundaries imported to the OSM database:
> > http://osm.org/go/wSyuEK4-- ) following the corresponding import wiki:
> >
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_Nigeria_eHealth_Africa_Boundaries
> > .
> >
> > About the tagging, we decided to use place=district and addr:district
> > for LGA's (admin_level 6) and place=municipality and addr:municipality
> > for the wards (admin_level 8) for consistency with worldwide tagging.
> >
> > addr:distric redirects to this wikipedia page:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District . We found that definition quite
> > matching what an LGA is in Nigeria. And wards are, for their size, and
> > discussing with people that have travelled through all these states
> > for the last 2 years, quite equivalent to what we know as municipality
> > in European countries.
> >
> > The other alternative would be to use place=lga plus addr:lga and
> > place=ward plus addr:ward, but 'lga' is not a documented (and probably
> > not used at all) tag, and ward looks to be meant for areas inside a
> > metropolitan area.
> >
> > We haven't still not used those place and addr: tags so far, and I
> > wonder if any has used them for address tagging in Nigeria, so any
> > comments about this (and anything else) are very welcome.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rafael.
> >
> > On 01/05/14 07:24, Pierre B?land wrote:
> > > Hi Rafael,
> > >
> > > This is awesome all of this. You are doing a great job with the
> > > highway classification.
> > >
> > > In the Hackpad, the territorial division is presented with States
> > > LGA's and Wards levels. Boundary limits could be easily add for
> > > each if you have the limits. But I dont understand the proposition
> > > to use new values Places tag classification (ie. place=district and
> > > municipality).
> > >
> > > Pierre
> > >
> > >
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >
> > *De :* Rafael Avila Coya <ravilacoya at gmail.com>
> > > *? :* "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org> *Envoy? le :*
> > > Lundi 28 avril 2014 14h54 *Objet :* [HOT] Road tracing in North
> > > Nigeria and eHealth Africa data imports
> > >
> > > Hi all:
> > >
> > > As you may remember from a thread about a month ago, there is a
> > > NGO, eHealth Africa ( http://ehealthafrica.org
> > > <http://ehealthafrica.org/>), that asked for a job to be created in
> > > the Task Manager for tracing the roads of Kano state in N Nigeria (
> > > http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/474 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/474>),
> > > to help vaccination teams trying to eradicate the polio in 10
> > > states of N Nigeria. As the job wasn't being done in a proper way,
> > > specially road tagging, I sent them some emails telling they had to
> > > both get some training and have a consistent tagging reference
> > > (find here the road proposal I made, and that was said to be fine
> > > by the people interested in mapping Nigeria:
> > >
> https://hackpad.com/Proposal-of-road-tagging-system-for-Nigeria-5YvMa3u2bqE
> > >
> > >
> > , that we are already using as reference). I volunteered to come to
> > > help with that, and ended up being hired for a month. I am
> > > therefore in Kano, Nigeria, since two weeks ago.
> > >
> > > The road tracing is in itself a huge and very interesting job, and
> > > they are planning to follow that job with all northern states of
> > > Nigeria. But as I landed here, I discovered that eHealth Africa has
> > > a huge and awesome set of data, with millions of GPS points, lots
> > > of well traced residential areas (more than 2,400 for Kano state
> > > only), all wards, LGA's and state boundaries for those 10 states
> > > plus all LGA's and state boundaries for the rest of Nigeria, more
> > > than 100,000 nodes with place names, location of hamlets, health
> > > facilities, schools, water facilities, mosques, market places,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > All that data (except for the boundaries of the states not included
> > > in the 10-North-states-list), has been gathered in the field, using
> > > lots of GPS-enabled devices, by eHealth teams of around 60 people
> > > during the last 2 years, and they gave us full permission to import
> > > all that data to OSM (I have with me the HOT document of
> > > authorisation). I've been assessing all that data to see what could
> > > be imported to the OSM database and how, and wrote a hackpad about
> > > it: https://hackpad.com/eHealth-Data-Import-hKeQZhVqQeR
> > >
> > > If anyone wants to test that data, just let me know and I give you
> > > the link to it.
> > >
> > > Any comments, help or ideas are very welcome.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Rafael.
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________ HOT mailing list
> > > HOT at openstreetmap.org <mailto:HOT at openstreetmap.org>
> > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
> > >
> >
> > - --
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/ravilacoya
> >
> > - --------------------------------
> >
> > Por favor, non me env?e documentos con extensi?ns .doc, .docx, .xls,
> > .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, a?nda podendoo facer, non os abro.
> >
> > Atendendo ? lexislaci?n vixente, empregue formatos est?ndares e abertos.
> >
> > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument#Tipos_de_ficheros
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
> > Comment: Using GnuPG with undefined - http://www.enigmail.net/
> >
> > iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJTYjnyAAoJEB3niTly2pPQ4BAP/jP1dKPVbvGaHg3d7886Plu4
> > qHRdc+JkqS3vDLyWHDIbxzULXAJA45aNYexWSreruAWgSsa9CrPlgdXjADjz4Qf1
> > 5z1poFoMnExC5kkaQ/ablXnQ0URkkwFlVlZzjROvulTEPpXDl9dTVpFxi8y16GSN
> > tyHOR8Xtg7WA8lkNDGNigKG3pcIYxHswI6wbYqNMUt5PuHgIyhO1Uxgx/BczSHLG
> > qPhEjM7dlRJVcGY02+vWgi+m6f70W4UmF/s9OHC6NJRbcR9D3Z0zwkydC/sm0N5F
> > HEbyKnuN//oKio4Tqj0D2ChRR+bwft+8NTwaBY4TK2V8QVbvQh7mWs6MoRVY9/yu
> > P7QFdHu5lKX7IvCdZY7upPaBKR6ojukzWmIU4WndXzjSfdHoNnzYO6IumNK6ieiN
> > QyWNwkhbC3cTMjIp6Te+vNhHRG3PZy7jfthgRpbK13YPyAm3dzFbwlW+jNud5zcW
> > /HApul94gDbaxJE4YYErSmBEPrxRmV5/4yd5gYEaemV/1bYVG64VAntEhsGymhfd
> > GT0LWmLmloZt72+h0Tj2h78pPsn6GEnpv3c1w1m8cdmnG+74rJGDHPK/yvUtqIG+
> > sdmv15eiHu+MvuY7gH2ZQBSAj182llB1FdNqvx7iGkbvNFqsh865VSYVgfY/rur9
> > CfVLWeyXZOzBWhNCPlLs
> > =9ink
> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 16:35:38 +0200
> > From: Dra?en Odoba?i? <dodobas at geoinfo.geof.hr>
> > To: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
> > Subject: [HOT] Transifex translation service for HOT projects
> > Message-ID: <53625BBA.3010806 at geoinfo.geof.hr>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we are going to try to use Transifex localization service to maintain and
> > improve HOT project localization. Transifex is essentially a paid
> service,
> > however it's free for open-source projects. There is also an open-source
> code
> > repository https://github.com/transifex/
> >
> > Transifex service has an command line utility which enables, almost
> unattended,
> > localizations integration. The drawback is that we should let the CLI
> utility to
> > handle all translations, making Transifex the only source of
> translations. I'm
> > not sure how are we going to handle translation file merging, and how
> does
> > Transifex work when we remove some strings/terms from the initial source
> files
> > (English).
> >
> > At the moment, I've only configured hot-export project and it's quite
> easy to
> > add new languages. https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/hot-export/
> >
> > I've also noticed that some of strings/terms are not really used, so we
> probably
> > should do some spring cleaning.
> >
> > Dra?en
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 11:18:31 -0400
> > From: Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com>
> > To: hot <hot at openstreetmap.org>
> > Subject: Re: [HOT] Doodle for First Meeting of Communications Working
> > Group
> > Message-ID:
> > <CAGn7mOogDCpa9MXstXJ64m6H0+-tJmJvi9DXNjdev25PnWVdVA at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just a reminder if you are interested in being a member of this group
> > please note your availability on the Doodle. I'd like to announce the
> > meeting time at the end of the day tomorrow.
> >
> > http://doodle.com/3545epmy63x72gvk
> >
> > -Kate
> >
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > As announced last week HOT is reactivating the working groups(1), some
> > > have been quiet for a while and some have not previously existed. I've
> > > created a Doodle to start of the Communications working group(2). At
> the
> > > first meeting we will begin the Terms of Reference for the working
> group
> > > and decide on a meeting schedule.
> > >
> > > Please note your interest in the Wiki and availability in the Wiki.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > -Kate
> > >
> > > (1)
> > >
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups
> > > (2) http://doodle.com/3545epmy63x72gvk
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20140501/0b255179/attachment-0001.html
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 4
> > Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 23:26:11 +0200
> > From: Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com>
> > To: Dra?en Odoba?i? <dodobas at geoinfo.geof.hr>
> > Cc: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
> > Subject: Re: [HOT] Transifex translation service for HOT projects
> > Message-ID:
> > <CA+y5pB+nSWYGC9g3+4sKYubeU6rX9ZaB1Tdq2EDWSkmvW34j2Q at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >
> > Hi Drazen,
> >
> > Big thanks for this: I did the translation inti French in the past and I
> > wish at that time I could use Transifex that I already knew from the
> > Inasafe documentation.
> > If one day you do the same for LearnOSM, you will be my hero.
> >
> > Sincerely
> >
> > Severin
> > Le 1 mai 2014 16:37, "Dra?en Odoba?i?" <dodobas at geoinfo.geof.hr> a
> ?crit :
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > we are going to try to use Transifex localization service to maintain
> and
> > > improve HOT project localization. Transifex is essentially a paid
> service,
> > > however it's free for open-source projects. There is also an
> open-source
> > > code
> > > repository https://github.com/transifex/
> > >
> > > Transifex service has an command line utility which enables, almost
> > > unattended,
> > > localizations integration. The drawback is that we should let the CLI
> > > utility to
> > > handle all translations, making Transifex the only source of
> translations.
> > > I'm
> > > not sure how are we going to handle translation file merging, and how
> does
> > > Transifex work when we remove some strings/terms from the initial
> source
> > > files
> > > (English).
> > >
> > > At the moment, I've only configured hot-export project and it's quite
> easy
> > > to
> > > add new languages. https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/hot-export/
> > >
> > > I've also noticed that some of strings/terms are not really used, so we
> > > probably
> > > should do some spring cleaning.
> > >
> > > Dra?en
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > HOT mailing list
> > > HOT at openstreetmap.org
> > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20140501/ab9abed8/attachment-0001.html
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 5
> > Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 02:51:54 +0200
> > From: Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com>
> > To: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
> > Subject: [HOT] Activation Working Group
> > Message-ID:
> > <CA+y5pBJi35CEY_JpVWtz-xfkg1DRCN5wh_FpZ6h-LpWkbzGrcA at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Among the reactivated Working Groups, here is the Activation Working
> Group.
> > Activations are more and more numerous and successful with a increasing
> > number of contributors. The results are really impressive, but we can
> > certainly do even better.
> >
> > As for the Communication Working group (for those interested, please fill
> > ASAP its Doodle <http://doodle.com/3545epmy63x72gvk>) we could start
> with a
> > kick-off meeting on Mumble <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble>,
> > and here is a Doodle to set it:
> >
> > http://doodle.com/hpwkwqiregdi7b6i <http://doodle.com/hpwkwqiregdi7b6i>
> >
> > This meeting and the ones that will follow aim at being a time to
> exchange
> > on this thrilling topic, review the experiences, documents, procedures
> and
> > set goals to be achieved for the next meeting. Because yes, a Working
> Group
> > is a group that works, that means between the meetings. And actually, it
> is
> > already happening: eg there are (more and more) people working on data
> > validation, both through setting procedures and monitoring the freshly
> > created data.
> >
> > I see 4 main topics around the Activation (but would be pleased to get
> > other suggestions):
> >
> > 1. All the *activities* and *documents* involved in an Activation. In the
> > past the Activation Working Groups mostly focused on how Activations are
> > triggered and start, what we could review based on the last experiences.
> > Crisis monitoring is certainly something we could add, in order not to
> > forget crisis of smaller range or simply not highly covered by the
> medias.
> > Also technical aspects like: define and prioritize AOIs (Areas of
> > Interests) and mapping goals, track and monitor the mapping progresses,
> and
> > set thin, flexible and efficient processes, tools, and wiki templates,
> etc.
> > But also share and document how to maintain and even grow the
> contribution
> > of the OSM contributors and communities, by communicating with them (like
> > this Working Group will do), proposing more different kinds of tasks to
> do
> > or setting joint events.
> >
> > 2. The *beneficiaries*, that means the humanitarian stakeholders. We need
> > both to make them aware of the data we produce and to make the data
> useful
> > and easy to use for them, taking more into account their needs,
> constraints
> > and tools. I got recent feedback from the GIS officers in the UN that I
> > will share.
> >
> > 3. The *data*. What needs to be mapped is quite known, but how to do it
> to
> > make it as clean and efficient as possible. That links to the mapping
> > instructions and the
> > validation<
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data
> >but
> > also to how the data can be reused by the humanitarian stakeholders.
> > There a lot of potential improvements to propose not only raw data but eg
> > thematic dataset, what the HOT Exports can already potentially provide
> (in
> > link with the Technical Working Group).
> >
> > 4. Last, but really not least is to *make more OSM contributors know*
> about
> > the procedures and tools used to map, monitor, communicate and activate
> an
> > OSM community, and expand the number of contributors in the Activations,
> > according to everyone's interest(s). This implies connecting with local
> OSM
> > communities when possible, talk with them and provide them documentation
> > and online training. Eg in Lubumbashi after Jorieke's stay, the contact
> > with the local OSM community has been maintained and voluntary online
> > training has been and will be provided through Mumble. So now, they are
> > continuing the mapping (see https://twitter.com/OSM_L) and will take an
> > active part on the Mapping in London on Saturday. And if ever a crisis
> > unfortunately hits Lubumbashi in the future, they will be able to trigger
> > the worldwide OSM community
> >
> >
> > Exciting, isn't it? And actually a lot of topics and sub-topics. And some
> > are certainly missing. This is why this Activation Working Group will not
> > need one leader but several facilitators, who, by their experience,
> skills
> > and will, will make things go ahead on the topic(s) they care.
> >
> > Let us make things move on and activate the AWG!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Severin
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20140502/e55c1eec/attachment.html
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > HOT mailing list
> > HOT at openstreetmap.org
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
> >
> >
> > End of HOT Digest, Vol 51, Issue 3
> > **********************************
>
> _______________________________________________
> HOT mailing list
> HOT at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20140503/920f53f0/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the HOT mailing list