[HOT] UCL class interested in working with Activation WG

Banick, Robert Robert.Banick at redcross.org
Fri May 16 14:06:14 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Over this spring myself and Andrew Braye of the British Red Cross have been in discussions with University College London about having their engineering students work on improving crowdsourcing for the Red Cross during their two-week "How to Save the World" course. We naturally proposed that they find ways to strengthen our emerging partnership with HOT.

The professors stressed that tracing or other highly manual tasks are not what they had in mind - they want students grappling with issues and making tangible products. Given the lack of documentation around the activation process and some of the components thereof (e.g. validation), we requested that they focus on documenting the activation process and perhaps wireframing or fleshing out some of the tools that HOT has proposed. I realize that most of us keep quite busy doing actual mapping and sometimes documentation lags. This is a great opportunity to get valuable work done for us and perhaps even inspire new HOTties.

As a part of this, I've asked that they work with the HOT community to understand our existing processes, where we want to go and which deliverables to prioritize. I want to ask this community in turn whether the Activation WG could find time to create a quick list of priority items before the class and find time to meet with the class twice during the two week period. I'm happy to assist on this in my capacity as a member.

I've attached the course description as it stands today. Please note that Andrew will be addressing the class at its start and that we've requested Harry Wood to do the same, if he can find the time.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Banick | Field GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì American Red Cross<http://www.redcross.org/>
2025 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20006