[HOT] Activation Working Group

Banick, Robert Robert.Banick at redcross.org
Mon May 19 01:08:50 UTC 2014


Hi Sev,

I can't see the doodle for some reason? Can you check that it's working?

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Banick | Field GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì American Red Cross<http://www.redcross.org/>
2025 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20006
Tel 202-303-5017 | Cell 202-805-3679 | Skype robert.banick

From: Severin MENARD <severin.menard at gmail.com<mailto:severin.menard at gmail.com>>
Date: Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:42 AM
To: Mark Cupitt <markcupitt at gmail.com<mailto:markcupitt at gmail.com>>
Cc: Robert Banick <robert.banick at redcross.org<mailto:robert.banick at redcross.org>>, "hot at openstreetmap.org<mailto:hot at openstreetmap.org>" <hot at openstreetmap.org<mailto:hot at openstreetmap.org>>
Subject: Re: [HOT] Activation Working Group

Hi all,

So I added more days, hoping this time we can find again a slot that fits most of the people interested, I think it is important to have the max of them involved as Activation is really core for HOT :
http://doodle.com/hpwkwqiregdi7b6i

@Mark and all, yes of course in the meantime everyone can contribute on the Hackpad:
https://hackpad.com/HOT-Activation-Working-Group-TlksNOhVdir


Sincerely,

Severin


On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:02 AM, Mark Cupitt <markcupitt at gmail.com<mailto:markcupitt at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Severin, why not just encourage discussion using hackpad for now whilst waiting for the meeting to get organized.

https://hackpad.com/HOT-Activation-Working-Group-TlksNOhVdir

Cheers
Mark



Regards

Mark Cupitt

"If we change the world, let it bear the mark of our intelligence"

See me on Open StreetMap<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mark_Cupitt>

See me on LinkedIn<http://ph.linkedin.com/in/markcupitt>
[http://s.c.lnkd.licdn.com/scds/common/u/img/webpromo/btn_myprofile_160x33.png]

See me on StackExchange<http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/17846/mark-c>
[http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/flair/17846.png]
===============================================================================================
The contents of this email are intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute,
or use the contents of this email. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the email and any attachments.
===============================================================================================


On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM, Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com<mailto:severin.menard at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Robert,

The issue is that there is no super good slot in the new agenda and not everyone filled it again. Best so far is only 5 people tomorrow on Thursday at 8AM GMT (what is not a good time for America), only max 4 people otherwise.
Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Severin


On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Banick, Robert <Robert.Banick at redcross.org<mailto:Robert.Banick at redcross.org>> wrote:
Hi Sev et al,

Did this ever come together? If so I’d like to add something to the agenda. If not can I suggest yet another doodle and a deadline of next Wed. at latest for the next meeting? Just to get things moving.

Cheers,
Robert


Robert Banick | Field GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì American Red Cross<http://www.redcross.org/>
2025 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20006
Tel 202-303-5017<tel:202-303-5017> | Cell 202-805-3679<tel:202-805-3679> | Skype robert.banick

From: Nick Allen [mailto:nick.allen.54 at gmail.com<mailto:nick.allen.54 at gmail.com>]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 3:08 PM
To: Severin Menard
Cc: hot at openstreetmap.org<mailto:hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] Activation Working Group

Severin,
Sorry, I was very slow filling in doodle - waited until I heard when the communications working group meeting would be. I've added my details now, but I will probably not be available when the meeting takes place. I will forward a few ideas to you before the meeting if I can't make it.
Regards

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)

On 8 May 2014 13:40, Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com<mailto:severin.menard at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi again,

Just figuring out this time slot is actually exactly the same than the Communication Working Group! As I guess I am not the only one that would like to participated to these two WG, so I reopen the Doodle<http://doodle.com/hpwkwqiregdi7b6i>. Maybe propose everyone will confirm there that same day same hour next week will fit.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sincerely,

Seveirn

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com<mailto:severin.menard at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,

According to the Doodle, the time slot that, by far, suited most of people interested by the Activation Working Group is Friday 9 (tomorrow) at 2 PM GMT (means 10AM EDT and 4PM CEST), so the meeting on Mumble<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble> will happen at that time. Here is the Hackpad<https://hackpad.com/HOT-Activation-Working-Group-TlksNOhVdir>. Anyone interested, please join!

Sincerely,

Severin

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:51 AM, Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com<mailto:severin.menard at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

Among the reactivated Working Groups, here is the Activation Working Group. Activations are more and more numerous and successful with a increasing number of contributors. The results are really impressive, but we can certainly do even better.

As for the Communication Working group (for those interested, please fill ASAP its Doodle<http://doodle.com/3545epmy63x72gvk>) we could start with a kick-off meeting on Mumble<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble>, and here is a Doodle to set it:

http://doodle.com/hpwkwqiregdi7b6i <http://doodle.com/hpwkwqiregdi7b6i>

This meeting and the ones that will follow aim at being a time to exchange on this thrilling topic, review the experiences, documents, procedures and set goals to be achieved for the next meeting. Because yes, a Working Group is a group that works, that means between the meetings. And actually, it is already happening: eg there are (more and more) people working on data validation, both through setting procedures and monitoring the freshly created data.

I see 4 main topics around the Activation (but would be pleased to get other suggestions):

1. All the activities and documents involved in an Activation. In the past the Activation Working Groups mostly focused on how Activations are triggered and start, what we could review based on the last experiences. Crisis monitoring is certainly something we could add, in order not to forget crisis of smaller range or simply not highly covered by the medias. Also technical aspects like: define and prioritize AOIs (Areas of Interests) and mapping goals, track and monitor the mapping progresses, and set thin, flexible and efficient processes, tools, and wiki templates, etc. But also share and document how to maintain and even grow the contribution of the OSM contributors and communities, by communicating with them (like this Working Group will do), proposing more different kinds of tasks to do or setting joint events.

2. The beneficiaries, that means the humanitarian stakeholders. We need both to make them aware of the data we produce and to make the data useful and easy to use for them, taking more into account their needs, constraints and tools. I got recent feedback from the GIS officers in the UN that I will share.

3. The data. What needs to be mapped is quite known, but how to do it to make it as clean and efficient as possible. That links to the mapping instructions and the validation<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data> but also to how the data can be reused by the humanitarian stakeholders. There a lot of potential improvements to propose not only raw data but eg thematic dataset, what the HOT Exports can already potentially provide (in link with the Technical Working Group).

4. Last, but really not least is to make more OSM contributors know about the procedures and tools used to map, monitor, communicate and activate an OSM community, and expand the number of contributors in the Activations, according to everyone's interest(s). This implies connecting with local OSM communities when possible, talk with them and provide them documentation and online training. Eg in Lubumbashi after Jorieke's stay, the contact with the local OSM community has been maintained and voluntary online training has been and will be provided through Mumble. So now, they are continuing the mapping (see https://twitter.com/OSM_L) and will take an active part on the Mapping in London on Saturday. And if ever a crisis unfortunately hits Lubumbashi in the future, they will be able to trigger the worldwide OSM community


Exciting, isn't it? And actually a lot of topics and sub-topics. And some are certainly missing. This is why this Activation Working Group will not need one leader but several facilitators, who, by their experience, skills and will, will make things go ahead on the topic(s) they care.

Let us make things move on and activate the AWG!

Sincerely,

Severin




_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
HOT at openstreetmap.org<mailto:HOT at openstreetmap.org>
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot



_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
HOT at openstreetmap.org<mailto:HOT at openstreetmap.org>
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20140519/53010f27/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the HOT mailing list