[HOT] Import of 1, 087 health facilities in Kano State from eHealth Africa database

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri May 30 00:20:56 UTC 2014

Hi, Satoshi:

I wonder what happened with my late answer to your comments, but your
part was deleted from it. I put them again here, so it makes it more
readable (internet here has been horrible today; it took me several
attempts to send it).

On 29/05/14 16:28, Satoshi IIDA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Rafael. I took a look the data.
>
> 1. "health_facility:type=*"
> As your proposal, "fixme" tag is added to Unknown type objects.

Only 9 out of the total of 1,087 nodes have a fixme:

Kano,Dala,Gobirawa,12.034918,8.486729,Hajia Umma Zaria,Other
Kano,Dala,Gwammaja,12.020398,8.507463,Gwammaja,Other
Kano,Fagge,Fagge A,12.004406,8.528766,Sabogarba,Other
Kano,Fagge,Kwachiri,12.033173,8.517079,Armed Forces,Other
Kano,Fagge,Rijiyar Lemo,12.054746,8.477502,Rijiyar Lemo,Other
Kano,Garko,Sarina,11.58647208,8.926618932,Sarina,Other
Kano,Gwale,Gwale,11.986317,8.504262,Gwale,Other
Kano,Kano Municipal,Zango,11.998687,8.522455,Murtala Mohammed,Other
Kano,Ungongo,Yada Kunya,12.083994,8.631586,Bela Leprosarium,Other

Of these 9 health facilities, Bela Leprosarium is clearly a
leprosarium. I will try to inquire about that centre tomorrow, to
check if they treat more than 50% of the patients as inpatients
(health_facility:type=hospital) or less than 50%
(health_facility:type=clinic).

I will try to inquire the eHealth personnel who collected these data
on the field about the other 8 health facilities and try to find a
suitable tag for each of them. I will share all this info here, for
comments, but bear in mind that we are talking about only 9 out of
1,087 centres. We could even drop them for now and import them when we
know clearly what type of health centres they are.

> But  I could not found further descriptions about
> "health_facility:type=" on CAR page.

In any case, the tagging schema for the CAR Health import was
discussed quite in depth in the imports mailing list, until it reached
a good consensus.

> So it is better to make some description about this schema for further
> local editing.
>
> health_facility:type=dispensary  => Health Post
> health_facility:type=health_center  => Primary Health Centre
> health_facility:type=prefectoral_hospital
> health_facility:type=regional_hospital
> health_facility:type=private_hospital
>
> Where to fit "General Hospital"?

General Hospitals here fall quite clearly in the description of
health_facility:type=hospital in the Healthcare2.0 wiki:

"[...] a health care facility, which treated cases are >= 50%
inpatients. Usually this facility spans one to several buildings and
there is extra staff for the patients which stay there over night and
for the management of the facility on the whole. If not tagged
otherwise, this facility will cover many specialities."

For the UNICEF data of the CAR import there was a more fine-grained
info, and it was decided to make differences between prefectoral
hospital, regional hospital and private hospital. But there isn't such
information in the eHealth data, so I'm afraid all Gereral Hospitals
should be tagged as health_facility:type=hospital.

> Unknown => Other?

Yeah, maybe we could change health_facility:type=unknown for
health_facility:type=other for those 9 nodes that have their
"HealthFacility_Type" field as "Other". But the problem is that each
health facility that is of type "Other" in the original data may fit
in one of the values for health_facility:type that we already have in
Healthcare2.0. That's why I thought that "unknown" together with a
fixme tag would make it better.

In any case, let me ask tomorrow about all of them (if I can), so we
may know what kind of type of health facility they are.

> 2. addr:* tags are already discussed on Local mappers?
> They are seems...
> * LGAName (addr:district, admin_level=6, Local Government Area) is
> "addr:city"?
> * WardName (addr:municipality, admin_level=8)  is "addr:hamlet"?

At the beginning of May, on the "Road tracing in North Nigeria and
eHealth Africa data imports", Pierre Béland also asked about this
Ward/LGA tagging matter. His question was:

---------

In the Hackpad, the territorial division is presented with States
LGA's and Wards levels. Boundary limits could be easily add for each
if you have the limits. But I dont understand the proposition to use
new values Places tag classification (ie. place=district and
municipality).

---------

My answer was the following:

----------

About the tagging, we decided to use place=district and addr:district
for LGA's (admin_level 6) and place=municipality and addr:municipality
for the wards (admin_level 8) for consistency with worldwide tagging.

addr:distric redirects to this wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District . We found that definition quite
matching what an LGA is in Nigeria. And wards are, for their size, and
discussing with people that have travelled through all these states
for the last 2 years, quite equivalent to what we know as municipality
in European countries.

The other alternative would be to use place=lga plus addr:lga and
place=ward plus addr:ward, but 'lga' is not a documented (and probably
not used at all) tag, and ward looks to be meant for areas inside a
metropolitan area.

We haven't still not used those place and addr: tags so far, and I
wonder if any has used them for address tagging in Nigeria, so any
comments about this (and anything else) are very welcome.

-------

If you read the District en:Wikipedia article, it fits very well and
is very similar to what a district is in some countries, like Germany
("an administrative unit between the "Länder" (German federal states)
and the local / municipal levels (Gemeinden)"), Austria ("an
administrative division normally encompassing several municipalities,
roughly equivalent to the Landkreis in Germany"), Peninsular Malaysia
("a district is a division of a state. [...] In Malaysia, each
district will have a District Office, headed by a district officer,
and is administered by a local government") or South Africa ("[...]
the district municipality forms the layer of government below the
provinces. A district municipality is in turn divided into several
local municipalities.").

As for ward, they are clearly a municipality. Each of the 774 LGA's of
Nigeria contains between 10 and 15 wards.

>From the Key:place OSM wikipage: "depending on the country a
collection of arbitrary hamlets, villages and towns may form an
administrative unit; sometimes members of a unit reform or join with
another municipality as a result of political process. Within a
municipality individual settlements are a lot less connected than
those within a city, where they have grown connected over time."

Most of North Nigeria is rural. So it's clear to me that municipality
is what fits the best for what a ward is in Nigerian administrative
hierarchy and geographycally.

As an example, I give you the link to the OSM relations of an LGA in
South Kano State that I visited 2 times (Sumaila) and its 11 wards:

Sumaila LGA ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710338 )

Wards:

Masu ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710668 ),
Gani ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710490 ),
Sitti ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710729 ),
Magami ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710656 ),
Rimi ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710690 ),
Kanawa ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710584 ),
Gediya ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710509 ),
Rumo ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710697 ),
Gala ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710479 )
Garfa ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710492 ), and
Sumaila ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3710730 ).

> 3. Accuracy
> Accuracy is quite good at a first glance. (although I'm not a local :))

I also looked carefully to many of them, and they are really well
located, in my honest opinion.

> 4. "source:date" for all the object?
> They are added to changeset tag also, maybe redundant.

I included this tag in all boundaries and residential areas that were
recently imported from eHealth data. It's not a big issue, so if this
is an issue we can drop it and leave it only in the changeset tags, I
guess.

Cheers,

Rafael.