[HOT] Forest: Cleared areas (slash and burn)

Ray Kiddy ray at ganymede.org
Sat Nov 1 04:36:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:05:28 +0100
Mathias Lück <mathias.lueck at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on task 672/sierra leone/ebola.
>
> Significant parts of the forest in the area I'm mapping seem to be
> cleared wit fire ("Slash-and-burn"). Wikipedia shows a good picture:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Jhum.jpg
>
> See sattelite images here:
>
> 9,11525 -12,69831
> http://binged.it/1wNZfe6
>

> Should these areas be marked in a special way?
>
> Regards, Matt

You should probably check with some non-HOT resources on this question.
There are probably groups with an explicit forest management focus. I
get responses on my user diary. You could ask the question there.

The data geek in me says that there has got to be people interested in
this data. If you mark it, it may not get used. If you do not mark it,
the opportunity for it to be used is gone.

Looking at the map features page on the wiki, there is:

	man_made = clearcut

Pretty close. There could be an analogous feature, yes?

	man_made = slash_and_burn

Seems reasonable to me.

- ray