[HOT] Tile Navigation Suggestion

noah ahles noah.ahles at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:53:05 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

I work at the Spatial Analysis Lab at the University of Vermont. We
digitize as the bulk of our workload here and I had a suggestion that I
think could increase the efficiency of edits. If there was a grid over each
tile that could guide the user through editing, it would stop them from
overlapping areas and increase accuracy of scanning. We do that here and it
significantly improves performance.

Here is an example from one of our projects. I start at the yellow circle
in the upper left and scan across and down, across and down etc. then end
at the blue circle. There are multiple routes that could guide you through
the tile; some people prefer going down each column instead of across the
rows.
[image: Inline image 1]

This does not actually split the tile into multiple tasks, it just helps
the user better organize their scanning route when looking through the
imagery. I think this would be a nice function to be added to the ID editor
that could be toggled on and off (maybe some people won't like it or a line
could obstruct a feature).

Also, I am hosting another Mapathon in Burlington, VT on Sunday, November
9th 10am-4pm. Here is the event page if anyone is interested:
http://osmebolaoutbreak.splashthat.com/

Best,

Noah Ahles