[HOT] Missing Maps launch tomorrow, and LearnOSM

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:41:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

Missing Maps (http://www.missingmaps.org/) has it's official launch
tomorrow, 7th November. I've deliberatly not put a time in this message,
as its a pretty worldwide launch & it's going to depend on your & their
time zone.

As well as the people who attend the mapathons, there will also be many
joining in 'remotely'. Of course, some of the people will have already
done some mapping with HOT in the past, but my experience of helping at
mapathons tells me that less than 5% will know what they are doing, and
the rest will be fairly new, but may have done some research & looked at
help guides etc..

At a conservative guess / estimate there will be 300 mappers, the vast
majority of them new, helping with various projects tomorrow. I think
this is a very conservative estimate, and would hope to see considerably
more - perhaps double my first figure, and I wouldn't be surprised if
there were even more!

Most of these mappers will look for guidance to LearnOSM
(http://learnosm.org/en/). Because of the way LearnOSM  is set up I
don't think we can get stats. for hits on the site (I'm quite happy to
be contradicted on this).

If you've done any exploring on the LearnOSM site you'll have noticed
that's it's not just for 'new mappers' and it has some very
comprehensive guides on some complex subjects. It's good! But it needs
constant attention - the editing tools and processes are constantly
evolving, and what was a current guide last month, may now need a slight
update.

LearnOSM is also multilingual, or at least it should be. There are many
sections that need more translations. There are guides on how to simply
produce these translations
(https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm/blob/gh-pages/CONTRIBUTING.md).

Now (last week would have been better!) would be a good time to have a
read through LearnOSM, and if you see something that needs sorting out,
either sort it, or send a message asking for someone else to do it. If
you've managed to master mapping, then getting something amended or
updated on https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm is only a minor stumbling
block, and could have a big impact on 700 people who will potentially
read it over the next few days.

*New Mappers* - we need to know what is missing, or needs rephrasing.
Let us know, please.

Regards
--

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for
http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk
<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)