[HOT] Bing imagery offset

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 12:51:11 UTC 2014

The reason for this is because relative offsets are much harder to deal
with than absolute offsets. When the relative positions are correct, you
can still calculate how far things are from each other, how big they are,
... You don't need the absolute position for it. Even on the field, when
using a GPS, the quality of the GPS position is often so low that you won't
notice an absolute offset.

To minimise the number of relative differences, it's advised to base your
data on a source that's more or less good in quality, and has a big
coverage. As such, the Bing imagery was chosen as a base (without an offset
applied, as any new mapper would get it in his freshly opened editor).

When there are better sources available in the future (f.e. interpolated,
high-precision positions), then everything in that region can be shifted by
the then-known Bing offset.

Regards,
Sander