[HOT] Fwd: mapping standards

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sun Nov 9 15:25:43 UTC 2014

We are pleased to discuss with students taking such initiatives and some of us shoud be pleased to support such projects.
I also transferred your message to the hot-francophone at openstreetmap.org discussion listwhere the Cameroun community is participating. It would be important that you coordinate with this community. If somebody in your group could speak french, this would surely help to exchange with them.
See this video about OSM_CI where we see Eurosha volunteers. Among them are Jorieke and Ben from HOT and OSM Belgium. These Eurosha volunteers are still surprising me with all the nice videos they made.

We cannot interpret a road network only from imagery or our experience in northern countries. Note that from our experience in various OSM responses in Africa we have created a wiki page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Highway_Tag_Africa specific to the african countries.

There is a certain challenge to better classify the road network of a country. As we see in the video, there are referentials that can be used. To classify based on the importance of the various towns, Population statistics and  list of administrative towns would be useful.
See also https://twitter.com/OSMCameroun
   Pierre