[HOT] Sierra Leone, #hotosm-ebola-672 : Feature Interpretation

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 18:40:30 UTC 2014

Hi Michel,

This is just my opinion and I am sure someone will correct me if I have
it wrong:

That looks like a mix of cassava fields, rice paddies and palm orchards
to me. I am not sure about the rice paddies exactly where you linked to,
but north of there are rice paddies I am pretty sure.

For sure it looks cultivated to me so you can tag it with landuse=farmland.

Then you have the option to include the crop=cassava or crop=rice where
appropriate or orchard=palm, but I would put a fixme=confirm crop on
there if you did designate a crop type.

For examples of cassava you can see some here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Bgirardot/West_African_HOT_Mapping_Tips#Cassava_.28Manioc.29_Crops

I will probably use the rice paddies from north of the location you sent
to help illustrate what rice paddies look like as I am on the lookout
for examples.

As always, it is difficult to be 100% sure of the crop so you can either
just stick to landuse=farmland or also put the fixme=confirm crop tag on
if you add the crop=* tag to the landuse=farmland tag.

Thank you for asking!

Cheers,
Blake