[HOT] #740 - Leer, South Sudan - some questions

m902 m902.osm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:46:46 UTC 2014

Hi, I'm new to HOT but have several years experience of OSM.
I've completed a few squares of #740 near Mir Mir
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2588755897> and am just reviewing my
work (and some completed by others).
Have a few questions:

1. Instructions are to map housing, buildings, also roads and paths,
streams and rivers. Unfortunately there is cloud cover on the Bing
imagery, so it is difficult to make out buildings. However, it possible
to make out what I think are walls or fences. Is it useful to map these?
2. I have mapped some as walls but I see others have mapped them as
fences. Could someone with experience of South Sudan advise which is
more likely?
3. Immediately to the south of Mir Mir are two areas ( this
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/311682185> and this
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/311682184>) which I think are possibly
refugee camps. Could someone take a look and see if you agree. If so,
how do you advise they be tagged?
4. Partly because of cloud cover on the Bing imagery, it is difficult to
identify paths and minor roads (and streams). Should I map only when I
am quite certain, or is it better to have a guess?

Also wanted to point out that on the Tasking Manager instructions page
here <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/740>, recommended Changeset
Comment is 'Mading, South Sudan #hotosm-task-740 #MissingMaps' whereas
Mading is actually task #729. Further, in the narrative of that page it
says 'Comment the changeset with: DRC, Baraka, #hotosm-task-727
#MissingMaps source=Bing'
which is completely incorrect. Potentially confusing, especially for new
mappers encouraged by the MissingMaps project. Perhaps these could be
updated.

Many thanks
Martin (m902)