[HOT] West Africa Ebola Outbreak More Jobs for Mali

Fran Boon francisboon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 07:41:41 UTC 2014

On 19 November 2014 at 12:35, Fran Boon <francisboon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will trial Mapillary in Central African Republic...both for my own
> use

I have started uploading photos from Bangui here:
http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/15/4.37/18.57

They're not artistic shots, nor are they all clear but they hopefully
give an idea of the big village with mostly-terrible roads.
It's a lovely place though, and luckily starting to normalise
again...at least within Bangui. Things can change again at any moment
but for now it has been said that it is "no more dangerous than
Kinshasa or Brazzaville".

> & that of the NGOs working there...I am invited to the IM Working
> Group by OCHA who are keen to learn how to make better use of OSM.

I have a good relationship here now, and awareness has been raised
significantly, but have yet to establish any concrete workflows or get
any specific requests other than help with printing out large-scale
maps, such as A0.
I am looking through this page to see options:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper
However any advice from this team would be great :)
Staff here are used to using ArcGIS, typically having last tried QGIS
a couple of years ago (or more) & found it wanting at that time (as
well as just being more comfortable with what they knew).
I have shared the current version of QGIS and my own great experiences
with it so this is certainly an option.
I guess we could develop a local auto-updating VM with a PostGIS copy
of the database as currently the entire country is only a 30Mb PBF.

I am also looking at improving Sahana's output in this area (we are
likely to be deploying Sahana here too) where I need other layers as
well as OSM...currently print output is done by calling GhostJS...so
the idea was to make the virtual browser have a large enough window to
match the output size & modify the viewport to match the user's
window.
Comments on this approach welcomed :)

> I am worried about bandwidth usage, so PoIs with OSMAnd may be a more
> suitable option, but we'll see :)

As you can see, not too bad, actually, some delay in uploading, but
can find time to do so.