[HOT] Training or Coaching Task / Project within TM?

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 13:58:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

I think there is a gap between the training available from the various
sources such as LearnOSM & someone reaching the stage of feeling
confident to map for HOT. Although we tend to think of new mappers with
no experience at all, it also extends to mappers who are used to mapping
their 'own back yard' but are concerned they may not interpret the
aerial imagery correctly when mapping for HOT.

I have seen several messages appear on the HOT mailing list where a 'new
to HOT' mapper has asked where to start. I've also been contacted by a
number of mappers asking me to check / validate their first squares in
HOT. Having been involved in training new mappers at mapathons I have
noticed they are unlikely to finish the current size of squares within 2
hours & they are also interested in receiving feedback on their
progress. Recent discussion on this mailing list indicates many mappers
are interested in feedback, especially in the early stages.

As a test to see how successful it would be, I'm interested in having a
project / Task which is marked up as suitable for new mappers. The
squares should be much smaller in size, such that we anticipate the new
mapper can complete a square within 15 to 20 minutes. In the perfect
world that square would then be looked at fairly soon by a validator who
makes suggestions if they are needed. After completing a few of these
squares the new mapper should have the confidence to move onto any of
the other general tasks. As an aside, this need not be a 'new task' - it
could just as easily be a 'high' which has dropped down the list, but it
would need adapting with additional instructions, and exisitng squares
awaiting validation being validated & the outstanding squares being
split far smaller than normal. It would need to be advertised so that
new mappers find it - highlighted link from the home page of the Tasking
Manager?

I'm willing to validate & offer feedback on such a project / task, but
ideally several other validators need to be involved. There are also
times when I am not available.

These views are my own - it would be good to get the opinions of;

a/. New to HOT mappers (we all were once, so everyone's view
appreciated) - would it have helped with the transition, and
b/. potential validators for such a project / task. - if there were a
few squares waiting validation (potentially a new mapper waiting for a
progress report before continuing), would you be willing to help with
the validation. Because the squares are smaller there will be problems
with working out highway grades, and an overview approach viewing
several squares on occasion would be needed.

I'm intending to present this topic at a Training working group, but
would like the views of other mappers.
--

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for
http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk
<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)