[HOT] HOT Projects issues triaging - first iteration

Dražen Odobašić dodobas at geoinfo.geof.hr
Fri Sep 26 08:31:34 UTC 2014

Hi,

first of all I would like to thank everyone who participated during first
iteration of HOT Projects issues triaging.

On the first iteration we discussed how to actually approach issue triaging
and what should be our results. Eventually, we agreed on using waffle service
[0] as a kanban style whiteboard. The board was divided into 4 priority
columns (low, medium, high, critical) which were used to triage issues.

After 2h of discussions on Mumble we managed to triage 36 out of 66 issues
available at that moment [1]. We also discussed how to use tags in order to
categorize and give more depth to the issues.

Others will probably have more comments, so here are my personal remarks:

* We need to prepare better before the actual meeting, some of the issues are
simple, others have long comments thread that span over couple of months, so
it's not simple to just glance over and make a decision. This should be a task
for the project manager. On the other hand, we could just tag those kinda
issues as 'needs disscussion' (or even create another column and move them there).

* We need to define which tags (and colors) and combinations of tags are
'officially' used across all HOT projects. For example: priority (low, medium,
high, critical), difficulty (easy, complex), component (ui, backend), ...

* I'm not sure if we used the possibility to order issues in columns, maybe
that could be used to signify priority with in a priority column.

* To use waffle an GH user must have 'Write access' to the repository

* One of the issues with waffle is that any changes to the issues on GH, will
directly affect placement on waffle board. WE could probably limit that by
using a fine-grained privileges on each repository and mange who has write
access. Also I'm not sure who can update labels, as labels are used to link
issues with boards on waffle service.

* Using waffle for issue triaging kinda limit it's usage as a kanban board
which usually has Ready, In Progress and Done columns to keep track of what's
happening. We could always add those columns or even manually reconfigure
existing columns and toggle between 'working' and 'triaging' modes.

* IRC is to slow for issue triaging, Mumble is much better

The second issue triaging iteration is scheduled for 2nd, October 2014 @ 17:00
UTC on Mumble [2]. The idea is to start with hot-exports [3] and then move
onto other HOT projects.

Dražen

[0] https://waffle.io/
[1] https://waffle.io/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2