[HOT] [HOT TWG] Re: Issue with the HOT Export shapefiles and ArcGIS

Mhairi O'Hara mhairi.ohara at hotosm.org
Wed Apr 1 09:10:06 UTC 2015

Hello all,

This issue definitely needs to be addressed, as it is recorded in github as
four separate issues [1][2][3][4] and is vital as a large number of people
are ArcGIS users. Providing CRS options should address some of these
problems, and hopefully thi can be carried out with the hire of the Export
Tool Developer [5].

There are four main deliverables listed for the position, which are
labelled as 'must' in github. These were selected based on what is required
to be covered under the Hewlett Grant. However once all of these are all
addressed, and there is more time, then the developer will move on to the
issues labelled 'should'.

Sorry, I initially labelled this issue as 'must', which I have now changed
to 'should', but will keep in it in mind. There is a good chance that there
will be extra time to dedicate to those labelled 'should', if a candidate
is successfully selected to carry out the 'Improve the Export Tool Help
Documentation' listed as an Outreachy internship project.

Kind regards,

Mhairi

[1] https://github.com/hotosm/hot-exports/issues/94
[2] https://github.com/hotosm/hot-exports/issues/80
[3] https://github.com/hotosm/hot-exports/issues/76
[4] https://github.com/hotosm/hot-exports/issues/75
[5] http://hot.openstreetmap.org/get_involved/hot_export_tool_tech_challenge

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Claire Halleux <claire.halleux at hotosm.org>
wrote:

> Hi Sev, TechWG and All,
>
> It is indeed the same for all people using ArcGIS, after the export you
> need to "define projection" for each shapefile created by the HOT Exports
> tool and choose the Spherical Mercator projection (also called WGS 1984
> Web Mercator [Auxiliary Sphere] projection).
> This issue has already been described by Fred Moine in this thread [1].
> And Mikel had already opened a thred on Github about it [2].
> If the default export projection can't be changed within a short time, I
> would advise we add at least a note on the Export page (or in a ReadMe
> file) explaining the simple process solving the issue when using ArcGIS.
> Because I agree that it deserves HOT in providing data which are not
> exactly "ready to use" for the humanitarian community.
>
> Best,
>
> Claire
>
> [1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2014-October/006311.html
> [2] https://github.com/hotosm/hot-exports/issues/80
>

> Claire Halleux
> Volunteer and Member of the Board
> +243 99 256 9980 (Kinshasa, DRC)
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>
> http://www.hotosm.org/
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_DRC_Ebola_Response
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am I the only one experiencing a projection issue in ArcGIS with the
>> shapefiles made by the HOT Exports? The (deprecated) EPSG:3785 is not
>> recognized by ArcGIS (but is by QGIS), therefore the shapefiles are not
>> projected. I do not use ArcGIS but I expect a huge majority of GIS officers
>> in humanitarian organization rely on it, so this issue is really a "killer
>> costumer". The tip I found is to display the shapefile first in QGIS then
>> save it in any other CRS (Coordinate Reference System), but it is obviously
>> satisfying for the (many) people with ArcGIS only. I think EPSG:3785 should
>> be changed by EPSG:3857 anyway if we continue to rely on this projection
>> for GIS files. GReat it is tagged as a "must" (fix). Who would be
>> interested to dig in? I can provide the information text for any techy not
>> completely familiar with CRS, if needed.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Severin

Mhairi O'Hara
Technical Project Manager