[HOT] Kambia district SL mapping and Update on the UNMEER Routing Tool Discussions

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Apr 1 21:05:02 UTC 2015

Kambia district, Sierra Leone
To support the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER) in the district of Kambia, Sierra Leone, we have added the following Task manager job.http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/971

UNMEER is collecting highway data in this area. Epidemiologists from Robert-Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany, are also deployed in Kambia district working with UNMEER, MSF and other groups. Colleagues from Germany have contacted us to express their gratitude for the OSM efforts for this epidemy. They also interface to support their colleagues. We propose to support them using either OSMand and OSMTracker.  The basemap of Kambia will also support their action in this district.

UNMEER Routing Tool Discussions
We did chat today on the HOT IRC with UNMEER staff. You can see the log of the discussion at http://logs.sahanafoundation.org/hotosm/2015-04-01.txt
UNMEER staff expresses a certain emergency to develop rapidly this information with the rainy season approaching rapidly. At that season, with the road coniditons it is very difficult to circulate in West Africa

 They presented us their routing project to establish average travel time for the various roads, this to support Routing analysis, logistic operations.

We discussed at how to collect / store gps traces collected by various teams that circulate in West Africa to support the UNMEER action or that work for private fleet of vehicules. Android smartphones have been given to support the UNMEER action and they are using OSMAnd. From the discussions, it looks that it would be possible to develop an OSMAnd plugin to take care of collecting and uploading gpx traces. Specific POI's could also be added to OSM.
Discussions will continue on Skype. If you are interested to participate, contact me, providing your skype nickname.
regard

Pierre