[HOT] Borno roads mapping and settlement import. Experienced mappers needed.

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 18:31:47 UTC 2015

Hi list:

As part of the NE Nigeria crisis, and after discussion with the
talk-ng, the imports list and this hot list, I've published the TM
project for the manual import of 4,500+ settlements covering a big
deal of Borno State [1]. The goal of this TM project is not only to
import those settlements, but also to improve the road coverage for
that state, mapping the road access to all those settlements, hence
improving the base map of that state.

The TM project is accessible to all, but we would ask for experienced
mappers to join.

All instructions are in the workflow wiki [2], this time enhanced with
a quick reference, so you don't have to go through all the wiki
everytime you need to recall some points of the workflow.

I did some tasks already. You can get some further inspiration on road
tracing and classification from some of those tasks. I would recommend
you http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/937#task/11 for the mountainous
Southern Borno, with seasonal rivers all around, and
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/937#task/74 for the Northern barren
and semidesertic Borno (you may of course disagree on that mapping! ;) ).

In case you find possible improvements to the wiki, please tell us so.

Cheers, and happy mapping,

Rafael.

[1] http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/937
[2]