[HOT] Nepal Earthquake - Training Help

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 04:20:11 UTC 2015

HI Folks, There have been a few emails and comments about training. Some
people are creating training documents (You are awesome!)  Building on
Claire's and the Training Working Group's efforts, I woke up thinking about
how to help some. Truly, the comments last night from Senior Mappers were
important. I really think that we as a community can help the Activation
with some ideas.  To help with the collaborative training, I posted this
Hackpad. It should be editable and viewable by all.* The goal would be to
add this to the wiki and/or blog once more firm.

Collaborative Training Space:
https://hackpad.com/HOT-Nepal-Training-Support-3GupUkChA1n
(edit freely)

*Some ideas:*

   1. Training techniques - Tips for the Nepal Earthquake. Please add clear
   instructions  2 - 5 lines) how issue and how to fix common Edit errors for
   this response. First, we refer people first to the existing docs and
   videos. But quick tips will help learning.

   1. Nepal New Mapper Task Force - Sometimes posting to a forum is hard.
   We highly recommend that you see the online training. The following
   contributors have offered to be the Nepal New Mapper Task Force.
*If you are helper, please let your communication method (Email, skype, irc
   username) , timezone (eg. GMT +3) and hours of availability to help out.
   (add to the hackpad) *

   1. Video help - We could create a quick google hangout/unhangout demo of
   all the top training tips. See details below. Needed: 2 - 3 volunteers on
   this. Heather can host the 30 minute discussion. Date and time to be
   determined.
   2. Training Items being created - If you are working on training
   material, please add the link and /or your name + topic so that folks know
   this is covered by an awesome helper.

1. Training
Please see the OSM Training guides and the Nepal help documents for more
details. These are listed here :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake.
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake>
There are also Nepal Road guides and other documentation coming soon. These
are tasking manager tips, basic errors, and quick fixes.  These are some
common edit tips and techniques for this response.
 HOW TO USE: Add a subject, description and how to fix. Add your name if
you wish so we can thank you. refine.

 2. Nepal New Mapper Task Force - Sometimes  posting to a forum is hard. We
highly recommend that you see the online  training. The following
contributors have offered to be the Nepal New  Mapper Task Force.

 If you are helper, please provide your name, best communication method
(Email, skype, irc username) , timezone (eg. GMT +3) and hours of
availability to help out.

 Name      How to Reach   Time zone   Times available

3.   Video hangout/unhangout

Idea: what if we held a Google Unhangout** online session? This would
record to Youtube and help in the interim for new mappers until the
training docs improve and, as Pierre mentioned, there were tool
improvements.
How a Google/Unhangout works:
MIT set up Unhangout free and OS for those who dont use Google. I host
frequent online interviews on Google Hangout. It records to Youtube. If
there were 1-2 Senior mappers willing to assist, we could host it today  or
tomorrow for a 30 min session. This is instant video sharing showing
issues with screens.

Helpers:
Suggested Date/Times

4. Training guides in the works.

*I would have used a Google Doc but I know some people are not fans.
** an Unhangout provides a way for non-google users to join in a hangout.

Happy to iterate

Heather

Heather Leson
heatherleson at gmail.com