[HOT] Road classification system in Nepal

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:46:24 UTC 2015

Longtime OSMer, infrequent HOTtie here, I wanted to follow up with a
question on road tagging: on the Nepal Roads page, there is a section on
Highways in Rural & Mountainous Areas which seems to imply that
highway=path is usually the correct tagging for these roads. Is this
correct?

Also, in rural areas, what is the "default" tag that people can use if
they're not sure how to classify a rural road/path? I haven't done a huge
amount of editing on these tasks, but I've seen highway=path,
highway=track, highway=road, highway=footpath, even highway=pedestrian
used. I think the road classifications in the task instructions are better
suited for urban areas, and more guidance for rural areas (where a lot of
tracing activity is) would be helpful.

Thanks!
Brad