[HOT] Instructions for new folks

john o'l ol.john.el at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 19:05:07 UTC 2015

The last couple of days I've had my share of struggles getting going with
HOT OSM platform, so I decided to share them with a couple of folks I work
with...  more struggling ensued.  Eventually I got to where (I hope) my
contribution is outweighing the fact that I locked up a square for a
certain amount of time.  This is my most recent go at instructions for
colleagues - offering it here in case it helps anyone else (apologies if
formatting gets screwy) --

Step by step instructions to get started in OpenStreetMap [adapted from
https://datameet.hackpad.com/Nepal-Earthquake-Mapping-YDjLauUK0Ek, the HOT
instructions for Project #1018 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1018>]

To contribute IMMEDIATELY to ongoing Humanitarian Mapping efforts for
Nepal through Humanitarian OpenStreetMap.org, *please do the following
1st:*

1.     1.  Go to the learnosm <http://learnosm.org/en/> site and go through
the first three items in the Beginner’s Guide.

2.      2.  Sign up for an account on OpenStreetMap
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/new>  (easy to do, learnosm
<http://learnosm.org/en/> shows you how if unsure)

3.      If you have not mapped with OSM before [or tried and really
sucked at it like me], please TAKE THE TIME to follow tutorials. Go
through the 30 minute training on http://mapgive.state.gov to learn
the basics of humanitarian mapping using OpenStreetMap.org

4.      Being new to OpenStreetMap, *use the in-browser iD
<https://openstreetmap.org/edit>*  editor.

5.      Review the learnosm <http://learnosm.org/en/> site again (for
instance, there is a button to change brightness of background in iD
editor!) and check out the HOT Remote Mapping item in the Beginner’s
Guide (best to do all this *before* you join in with the current
tasks).

*Then* go to the HOTOSM Task Manager at http://tasks.hotosm.org/ and
select a job that you feel comfortable contributing to.

1.      Read the directions carefully for the job

2.      Select one of the squares next to one that is marked as
complete -This will allow you to pan to the completed square so you
can see how others are digitizing the features and mimic their work.

3.      Click start mapping to lock the area

4.      Don’t be too surprised if there are little glitches and
difficulties as you get used to the platform, try to do what you can
and unlock the square if you get stuck or called away for more than a
few minutes.

**It doesn't matter how long you work, or how many features you
digitize. There are currently hundreds of people mapping on HOTOSM for
the Nepal Earthquake.  Every edit counts. **

Cheers!