[HOT] Adding "Buddhist", "Hindu", and Muslim to the tags

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 20:34:00 UTC 2015

Hi Suzan,

I think multiple tags are required to map them completely.

If you look over:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dplace_of_worship

and

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:denomination

I think you can mark them pretty well.

A stupa seems to most likely also include man_made=tower,
tower:type=stupa tags.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dtower

+ the other tags for place and worship and such.

You can also use taginfo to help see how other people are tagging things:

http://taginfo.osm.org/search?q=stupa#values

you have to check the 'key' and the 'value' tabs when you trying to
figure some stuff out and then the 'combination' tab to see what other
tags are usually used with a particular key.

Hope that helps, would love to hear what you settle on for a set of tags
for the buddhist places.

Cheers,
Blake