[HOT] Validation

Jarmo Kivekäs jarmo.kivekas at guttula.com
Mon Aug 24 16:18:53 UTC 2015

Hi!

I've been lurking on the mailing list for a while, but I'm still fairly
new to HOT. I though I'd pitch in.

I definitely recognized myself from Martin's write up as belonging to
the set of contributors who commit changes but don't mark tiles as done.
Below are some reasons why I've not marked tiles as complete in the past.

1. I think part of the reason is that I started out mapping on my own (I
haven't found a local community, nor was I introduced to mapping on a
mapathon). Therefore I haven't been able to just quickly ask someone
advice about something I'm unsure about. In these cases I've usually
left a comment in the tasking manager about whatever I was unsure about,
mapped the rest, but not marked the tile as done.

Not marking the tile done is me being conservative, I guess. As a new
mapper it is currently difficult to get feedback on the quality of your
mapping, you pretty much needs to actively seek it out. Getting
notifications when there are new comments on tiles you've worked on
would be nice.

2. When parts of a region are already mapped (probably form before the
activation was created) but the tiles that are already mapped are not
marked as done. I'm reluctant to mark a grid as done without making any
changes to it, even if it seemingly fills all the criterion for the
task. Especially when the grid has been locked my multiple users in the
past. "They didn't think it was as done, I'm probably missing
something." I realize that this thinking only propagates the problem,
since I'll just be one more user on the list.

3. Grids can be pretty large. Sometimes you just don't manage to map it
completely in a short sitting. I know grids can be split, but...

4. Sometimes I'll for example only be mapping roads. Doing this will
result in many tiles being checked out and changesets are generated, but
no tiles are actually being finished.

-- Jarmo