[HOT] Projects on the HOT OSM Tasking Manager - lots of them

Martin Noblecourt m_noblecourt at cartong.org
Sun Dec 6 12:34:36 UTC 2015

Dear all,

This is an interesting topic, I think what is important is to focus on
how the data will be useful for responders & communities on the ground.
On some requests (particularly for humanitarian operations), what we
really need is to obtain a first overview of an area (villages & roads)
fast. I've sometimes tried to put the focus on it using the instructions
(e.g. the projects 1343 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1343> or 1262
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1262>), however on both tasks I saw new
mappers spending a lot of time tracing buildings whereas it wasn't
necessary (yet), and (sometimes very) experienced mappers unvalidating
tiles because a track was missing on a corner of a task. Although the
latter were right to do so in absolute, in both case it wasn't really
helping the task being completed faster (since lots of new mapper then
spend time working again and again on the same task to get it perfect).

My question is: how can we better highlight when a project is a "first
pass" for which it is admissible to miss a few details in order for the
project to be completed faster? And an additional one: on some projects
part of the area to cover doesn't have imagery good enough to trace,
could it be useful to add a button to specify that (different than
marking it done & leaving it unmarked) to avoid several people looking
at it again and again?

Thanks & best regards.

--
Martin Noblecourt

*m_noblecourt at cartong.org | Bureau/Office: +33 (0)4 79 26 28 82 | Skype:
martin.noblecourt*
CartONG - Mapping and information management for humanitarian
organizations | Cartographie et gestion de l'information pour les
organisations humanitaires