[HOT] Projects on the HOT OSM Tasking Manager - lots of them

Jim Smith seth006 at blarneystone.com
Wed Dec 9 15:04:57 UTC 2015

I somewhat agree with Ralf’s point about tile size making a difference. When I went to help mapping for the recent Mexican hurricane, there was a section marked priority. Some non-priority tiles were split and those were being worked on. Most tiles were not split and those were not being worked, priority or not. I split a couple of priority tiles and started working on them. To my surprise, the other split tiles were then being worked as well but still none of the non-split priority ones. I split a couple more and sure enough, those became actively worked on as well.

I used to think in terms of not splitting a tile unless it is massive but after that I realized it might not be a bad thing to split a few in a priority area just to get mappers started.

Splitting an entire area down may be counterproductive since they can’t be “unsplit” for areas that are found to be easy mapping but if you find an area being passed over, try splitting a tile or two and see if that helps get it started.

Jim