[HOT] Questions regarding Missing Maps Mapping Party in the Netherlands

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Feb 5 21:40:54 UTC 2015

On 2/3/2015 11:59 PM, Willy Bakker wrote:

> Firstly, which editor would you recommend for beginners? In Berlin
> during the Open Knowledge Festival I attended a HOT workshop where the
> iD editor was used; at the mapping party in Antwerp in december they
> used JOSM. Which one is the best for beginners?

Assuming that the computers are capable of running both JOSM and iD, I
would recommend iD for beginners. I mainly use JOSM myself, but find
myself using iD more for some edits.

iD's presets make it significantly easier for mappers to tag objects
appropriately as the raw tags are abstracted from them. JOSM's presets
do not do this as well, still being focused on the raw tags. iD should
have everything needed for a normal mapping workflow, while JOSM
presents many tools useless to most mappers.

Stepping through the built-in tutorial will get most people up to speed
for what they need to know to start mapping, and gives you a starting
point for your workshop.