[HOT] HOT is now on LinkedIn

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:54:13 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Sorry for getting back late on this thread.

Linkedin may be a large social media for professionals, what it has
achieved by building its audience by emailing systematically personal
contact lists, what makes it one of the most spamming site in the OSM
talking lists, from my experience of moderator of a few lists. Therefore
Linkedin is not very OSM friendly and reading the email title,  I thought
it was again one of these Linkedin spams slipping through the net from time
to time. Linkedin finally got its point, ha!

I have a few (other) concerns:

1. The description of what is HOT in this page is not very clear about what
HOT is. As a Board member, I must admit we did not work yet on defining
what the HOT project is, what we have planned to after the HOT in Person
meeting but did not take the time yet to work on it. In IMHO it does not
emphasize enough that HOT the nGO has been created to coordinate and
support the free contribution of hundreds (almost thousands) of volunteers,
that are the core of the HOT project.

2. What is exactly the aim of "to reach out and engage with Humanitarian
and Mapping Professionals" with this group. Finding new people volunteering
among the professionals or publishing positions every time new ones are
available? IMHO again, would be good tfor the two cases to drive the people
interested either to the OSM lists or HOT website. But for the second case,
it would be better to have people volunteering first before applying to
positions

3. Why the Discussion group, where it seems discussions are planned to be
done, rather than simply linking to existing channels? And this is a closed
group (maybe by definition in Linkedin) so it will not help people
volunteering to have a clear picture of what happens if there is this group
with discussion behind the scenes

A few minor remarks or questions: I think HOT the NGO has been officially
created in 2010 and not 2012, and do not understand well the figure of
51-200 employees. Is it the total number of people that have been
contracted since the creation of the organization?

Sincerely,

Severin