[HOT] request for mapping buildings in Malawi flood plan with focus on two areas

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:00:24 UTC 2015

Dear Maarten,

As you posted the email on the hot list first, it is better we continue on
that channel.

So basically job #847 has been done after processing the TerraSarX flood
extent (http://www.masdap.mw/maps/261) as explained in the job instructions.

http://geonode.wfp.org/layers/geonode:moz_mwi_dfo_floodextent_20150126 is
really coarse indeed compared to the previous one, and does not seem always
logical considering the landscape. Regarding the Malawi affected areas,
around Zomba, Phalombe and Mulanje, I considered the area and created a
test job to see what it would look like. Can you please confirm this job
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/tayekpbt44hrj50/Malawi_flood_HOT_TMjob_test1.png?dl=0>
would be relevant? It is a large area, with many villages, and it is almost
un-mapped so far; hopefully not with a high population density.

Would you also have some documentation, report or link to inform the
community about the current situation in the field, that would complete
what we can find on reliefweb
<http://reliefweb.int/search/results?search=malawi> about Malawi?

For everyone from the HOT community reading this email, drawing buildings
is important to get an idea of where are the people and how many they are,
considering there is no updated and geolocated population census. With
INASafe <http://inasafe.org/en/>, a QGIS plugin, it is easy to get such
evaluation + contingency planning docs (including food and non food items
to provide to the affected population) by intersecting a vulnerability
layer (the OSM buildings) and a hazard layer (the flood extent layer).

Sincerely,

Severin