[HOT] Fwd: huts.

Rod Bera rod at goarem.org
Tue Feb 17 10:16:04 UTC 2015

Hi John and everyone,

These huts definitely are for living.

Again (see my e-email below), the bigger ones are permanent shelters
i.e. homes.
The smaller ones are strorage (granaries), containing food for a whole
family (or more) for a whole year (in the best of cases, just after
harvesting) or less (depending on time in year and amounts of previous
harvest. One or two successive bad harvests most likely means famine).

These huts (or squared equivalents) are the only possible housing when
people live

  * with less than $2.15 a day (as is the case for 516 millions in
    Sub-Saharan Africa alone, 1.934 billions globally) and
  * in rural areas (which in Sub-Saharan Africa make 77% of those below
    the $2.15 poverty line).

Figures are from UN-Habitat2003. Obviously they have increased since
then. When I am talking of $2.15, this is obviously not pocket money.
It's generally speaking the economic equivalent of the food they produce
and eat, etc.

77% (this figure is higher than elsewhere in the world, where the
majority of poverty has moved to urban slums) makes about 397millions of
"rural poors" in this part of the world alone.

Now, very rough rule-of-thumb: 6 per house (families aren't that big:
infant mortality rate alone in Guinea narrows 10% without ebola) + 1
granary for 3 houses (things can be very different from place to place)
:. 100 million houses. Amongst them, expect a fair amount of huts.

So as Pierre advises for all these:
building=yes and shift+O to draw circles. And happy shift-O-ing! But
before, we need highways=tracks (and other roads), and landuse=residential.

More generally, we have already debated the issue of remote mapping, and
difficulty, sometimes, of getting the proper local context.

Our community is growing and most certainly including people in these
areas who have more accurate knowledge of terrain, who know life "as it
is" there.
We should rely more on them, and I welcome them to take some time
explaining things that seem obvious to them, but are not to many
westerners who take for granted all the wealth, goods,
infrastructures... they benefit from.

Sometimes however, language is an issue and it would be nice to see
native/fluent english speakers make the others more self-confident, or
risk themselves into other languages.

It's a good thing we can share all this in this list. It is not a matter
of "knowing" or "not knowing", nor is it of "just mapping", rather an
opportunity to better know each other's cultures and realities. So I
welcome more of these exchanges as they can serve improved mutual
understanding. In-so-doing HOT and OSM can offer us all far more than
just maps (or data) : a better understanding of the world and people
living on this planet, for a start...

Best,

Rod

On 17/02/15 03:35, john whelan wrote:
> I strongly suspect they are huts that people live in.
>
> Cheerio John

Hi Daniel,

depends on what kind of "hut" you're talking about. Most of these are
permanent housing. Some (they tend to be smaller) are granaries.
Try googling images with "west african hut" and "millet granary" to make
yourself an idea.

Rod

On 16/02/15 20:09, Daniel Specht wrote:
> Oops -- didn't mean to send that last one.  Question about huts -- in
> West Africa there are a lot of huts, sometimes just out in the forest
> with no rectangular buildings or clearings nearby.  Are these for
> storage?  Temporary housing?
>
> Dan
>

> Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 18:55:45 -0500
> From: john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com <mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>>
> To: "hot at openstreetmap.org <mailto:hot at openstreetmap.org>"
> <hot at openstreetmap.org <mailto:hot at openstreetmap.org>>
> Subject: [HOT] Validation
> <CAJ-Ex1F3+N6dHh62xnjNazs-p-Q8HLMLX77BVd_+ZU78SR51Hg at mail.gmail.com
> <mailto:CAJ-Ex1F3%2BN6dHh62xnjNazs-p-Q8HLMLX77BVd_%2BZU78SR51Hg at mail.gmail.com>>
>
> Mapping in Africa from satellite images I find I'm adding perhaps half a
> dozen settlements when I validate, they're quite quick and easy to do.
> Some are huts and are not quite so easy to spot.
>
> Question at what point should I invalidate?  The question arises when
> perhaps I've added a dozen settlements and half a dozen highways, I'm
> fairly experienced so fairly comfortable the work is OK after I've
> added in
> the validation but there is the question that I've added a dozen
> settlements and no one else will be validating.
>
> I'm looking more for pragmatic answers more than anything else, there is a
> concern that if I invalidate a tile it may demotivate a mapper and at the
> moment we have a lot of tiles to map.
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheerio John
>
> --
> Dan

Rod Béra,  MCF Géomatique                /   Lecturer, Geomatics
            et SIG pour l'Environnement  /    and Environmental GIS
Agrocampus-Ouest|65 r.Saint-Brieuc|CS84215|35042 Rennes cedex|France
+33 (0) 223 48 5553 -roderic.bera at agrocampus-ouest.fr

+33 (0) 223 48 5553 - roderic.bera at agrocampus-ouest.fr