[HOT] Fwd: huts.

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 18 02:16:33 UTC 2015

I had a session tonight with Fofana from Burkina Faso. He his familiar with this type of habitat that we can also see in Burkina villages.

We examined the villages in the Kandia area. In the Kandia area, we see a lot of fields with lighter colors. We often find small habitats in what looks like fields. The habitat is als very dispersed with often a few houses. If there are square houses, it is easier to find the hamlets. But if only huts, we have to zoom-in more to assure that there are houses.

Zooming-in enough, we can make easily the distinction between the big and smaller huts. The smaller ones are the granaries and the larger the permanent houses.

This global view shows how disperse is the habitat with small hamlets in this area.
This link clearly shows permanent housing in large huts.https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/10.189236/-12.853813
This link cleary shows the difference between the granaries (smaller huts) and houses.https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/10.163169/-12.863288
In this area, it is hard to spot all the small hamlets if we do not zoom enough.https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/10.127034/-12.845559

 If you want to see more examples, look on Youtube. Search for West africa villages or for mud huts. You should see various examples.  Pierre