[HOT] Mapping in Dhaka, Bangladesh!

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 02:15:46 UTC 2015

On 1/13/2015 2:57 AM, john whelan wrote:

 > There seems to be an alignment problem, the Bing imagery doesn't exactly
 > match the Next View imagery.

Jorieke might have a different opinion and his is the authority :) but
it looks to me like the new nextview imagery is better aligned than
bing. I would use it as the main georeference. In addition most things
will be mapped with Nextview so might as well keep them all consistent.

How did I come to the NextView is better aligned conclusion?

visit this spot in JOSM:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/23.750183/90.368716

And load the bing, nextview and "OpenStreetMap GPS Traces" (JOSM Imagery
Preferences again, select up top, use the arrow in the middle to move it
to the bottom list)

It is a divided street, you will see Bing has traces going off the side
of the road and down the middle of the trees on the divider, the
nextview imagery has the traces nicely on each side of the divider on
the streets.

Hence, to me it looks like the nextview is better aligned.

Again, Jorieke would be the authority.

Hope that helps.

cheers,
Blake